Grapes of Roth 2008 Riesling

IMG00195-20100224-1959 Riesling is a wine that I am still trying to get my hands around and understand.  I love the acidity in the wine and love the lime and citrus and the occasional petrol aroma’s that can evolve in a Riesling. 

Then there are times that I have had a Riesling and wondered why this is so sweet, knowing it’s not a desert wine.  Then there are times that I have had it and felt this could be my favorite grape.

So when I saw this hanging out at Roanoke Vineyards, I though, lets give it a try. 

Roman Roth is a German born winemaker who finds himself making wine at Wölffer Estate Vineyards and at Roanoke Vineyards, and if that is not enough, he also lends his hands and advice to some of the next up and coming wine makers on Long Island.  So what does Roman Roth do in his spare time.  He makes his own wine.

This is the second vintage of the Grapes of Roth Riesling.  It is 100 Riesling taken from two north fork locations.  68% comes from Split Rock Vineyard near Greenport.  The other 32% comes from Martha Clara Vineyards.  The grapes were hand harvested and brought to Wölffer Estate Vineyards for desteming and pressed.

On the nose I was picking up some apricot, white peach, apple and lime.  There was a salinity to the nose as well, kind of like ocean air.

The taste was very crisp and clean.  It had bright acidity.  There was flavors of apple skin, pear and citrus.  There was a little wet rock quality that was nice as well. 

I did enjoy this Riesling.  This is another notch in the Riesling belt that hopefully one day I will have a better understanding of it.

You can buy this 2008 The Grapes of Roth Riesling ($22) from Roanoke Vineyards tasting room as well as Roman Roth’s own website where he goes into great detail about this wine and his own story.

IMG00194-20100224-1958

Advertisements

About Michael Gorton, Jr.

I am a Licensed Funeral Director who is having a love affair with Long Island Wine and the people that make Long Island wine so special. I am married to my wife Melissa and live in Rocky Point. Our first son Gabriel Noel was born on July 27, 2010. We have three cats and one dog.
This entry was posted in 2008, Grapes of Roth, Long Island, Riesling. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Grapes of Roth 2008 Riesling

  1. Mike Gorton Sr. says:

    Michael,

    Sounds like a wine I would enjoy. Thanks for the info.

  2. Michael Gorton, Jr. says:

    Thanks Dad,
    I’ll bring some for Easter Dinner.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s